Call For A Free Consultation
CALL: 859-781-9100

How you can enforce a child support order in Kentucky

As any parent knows, children are expensive. Even without various luxuries, it is still costly to clothe, feed, educate, and shelter them. Having both parents contribute financially to raising a child is therefore crucial and a right afforded to every child.

Unfortunately, there are parents who don't take child support orders seriously, or they feel as though it doesn't matter if they make a payment or not. Under these circumstances, parents who are supposed to receive these payments may need to take action to enforce a child support order. This can be done in a variety of ways.

Early on, or after no more than one or two missed payments

One missed or incomplete payment can lead to another and another, and before you know it, you could be missing out on hundreds or thousands of dollars in support. Before things get this bad, address the discrepancy directly and right away with the other parent. Discuss why the payment was missed, determine when it will be paid and make a plan to ensure it does not happen again.

When a parent is at least a month behind in payments

If a parent has not paid a month's worth of child support, then the Child Support Enforcement Office can step in and enforce the order. They can do this by intercepting tax refunds, suspending driving or professional licenses, withholding unemployment benefits or deducting the amount due from a parent's income.

When the situation is out of control

If a parent's delinquency gets out of control, court action including jail time can be ordered. If it has become impossible for the parent to keep up with payments due to situations like job loss or severe illness or injury, the courts may order a review and modification of an existing order. However, a modification may not apply retroactively.

At any point, legal support can be crucial

Whether you are missing one payment or a year's worth of child support, it is crucial that you have legal guidance as you navigate the process of enforcing an order for support. An attorney can help you avoid any missteps that could make the situation worse and collect the money you are owed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact our attorneys today We Are Ready To Listen

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gatlin Voelker,PLLC

Gatlin Voelker, PLLC
2500 Chamber Center Dr. Ste. 203
Fort Mitchell, KY 41017

Phone: 859-781-9100
Fax: 888-456-9179
Fort Mitchell Law Office Map

Call : 859-781-9100